OSDevCon 2008: Call for Papers
The international OpenSolaris Developer Conference is an annual community conference organized for OpenSolaris enthusiasts, engineers and users. We cordially invite presentation and tutorial proposals related to OpenSolaris with a broad range of topics.
- Call for papers closes: April 20, 2008.
- Notification to accepted speakers: May 1, 2008.
- Final papers due: June 12, 2008.
- Tutorials: June 25, 2008
- Talks: June 26 and 27, 2008
Presentations being accepted
There are basically two different types of presentations: you can submit a proposal for a talk or a tutorial. BoFs can be arranged at the venue with one day notice in advance. However it would help matters if you send us earlier than that an
Talks are main part of the conference: a series of presentations on OpenSolaris related subjects. In 2008 there will be 14 slots in total for presentations on Thursday and Friday. Presenters will be given around 40 minutes for the talk which includes up to 5 minutes for questions and discussion. We intend to video tape the tech sessions and put the streams online. Let us please know if you feel uncomfortable with that.
Wednesday is reserved for the tutorials: half-day or full-day sessions giving the speaker a chance to interact with the audience. Presenters should indicate what level of expertise and what equipment is required from the audience.
Although the conference will be mostly technical, we invite also the talks related to community organization and governance, collaboration between OpenSolaris, opensource communities, Sun, and others. Submissions on the following technical topics are welcome:
- OpenSolaris kernel and device driver development and debugging.
- Networking and Security.
- Development tools, compilers, application development and debugging.
- Performance and performance tuning, HA and HPC.
- User space tools and desktop applications.
- Virtualization and emulation techniques.
- File systems and storage management.
- Alternative OpenSolaris based distributions.
How to Submit
Please use the submission form to propose a talk or tutorial for the OpenSolaris Developer Conference 2008.
All proposals will have to include:
- Author's full name, e-mail address, and homepage (if available).
- Author's short biography and relevant experience.
- The title of your presentation/tutorial.
- An abstract describing your presentation/tutorial (up to 500 words).
- Information about the project you are talking about (where applicable).
Proposals will be reviewed by the conference program committee.
Please not that on request we will cover the speaker's accomodation. If you're on a tight budget regarding travel expenses there might be some possibility to also refund travel expenses depended on the sponsors, quality of the paper and travel distance. If you're interested in that please
We will send you an e-mail on May 1st 2008 whether your submission was accepted or not. Accepted speakers will get automatically to the osdevcon-announce mailing list in order to receive automatically further important announcements. All visitors and speakers are encouraged to to the osdevcon-discuss mailing list in order to get in touch with other attendees and the conference organizers.
Stephen Lau (OGB,
Martin Man (CZOSUG, Sun Microsystems, Nexenta Core Contributor, Czech Republic)
Lukas Rovensky (CZOSUG, Sun Microsystems, Czech Republic)
Wolfgang Stief (best Systeme GmbH, GUUG e.V., Germany)
Rich Teer (OGB, Rite Online Inc., Canada)
Dr. Dirk Wetter (Dr. Wetter IT-Consulting, GUUG e.V., LinuxTag e.V., Germany)
Complete registration and program information will be available at
in May 2008.